Florida divorce spouce in prison

What makes you "eligible" legally is that one of you have lived in Florida for 6 months before filing the petition and your marriage is irretrievably broken. That's all you need in Florida to get divorced.

Posted by: Pamela S. Wynn December 28, at AM.

Does that make me eligable to just divorce her cause she will be locked up that long? Posted by: armandhoule comcast. Get My Free Kit. Make Smart Divorce Decisions. Cruelty means that one spouse treated the other in such a way that the marriage and living together was insupportable.

Serving Divorce Papers If You Can't Locate Your Spouse Or If Your Spouse Is Evading Service

You can either get maintenance or you will have to provide maintenance to your spouse in only two specific circumstances:. Typically, spousal maintenance is limited to three years. However, the Texas Family Code does provide some exceptions relating to disability of a spouse or a child. When you file your petition or counter petition you can request a name change that will be final upon the entry of the final decree of divorce. You will then have to go through the necessary government agencies to get all of your government issues documents changed. Yes, you can get an annulment in Texas.

Typically annulments are granted if there was a legal deficiency in the marriage. Examples include: one of the parties was underage; one of the parties was under the influence of drugs or alcohol; one of the parties is impotent; or one of the parties is mentally incapacitated. You can file for divorce as soon as either you or your spouse meets the residency requirements of the state and county that you plan on filing in. More specifically, a party must be a domiciliary of the state for the preceding 6-month period. A domiciliary of the state means a person that primarily lives in that state.

Second, a party must be a resident of the county in which the suit is filed for the preceding day period. However, a spouse that does not live in the state may file a case against a spouse that does live in the state, as long as that spouse meets both of the requirements stated above. Your case can be over in as little as 60 days or it can be over in a few years. The amount of time that it takes for a case to be completely finished depends on the issues that arise in your case. For example, the court may order a social study to evaluate both of the parents and their living situations.


The social study itself can take from two months to as long as year or more. Another example is property division. Complex property issues may require an expert to be brought in to evaluate businesses or property valuations and, like social studies, can take from two months to a year or more.

What can I do if my spouse won't sign the divorce papers? | DivorceNet

Not necessarily. If you and your spouse are able to agree on everything including possession and access to the children, child support and property division, the only time you would have to go to court is to do a Final Prove Up of the divorce and even then your spouse can have that done with only your signature. However, if parties contest issues, a hearing or final trial is likely.

If a process server is not able to serve your spouse, you can petition the court to either serve your spouse via certified mail or by publication. Serving your spouse by certified mail means that we will mail a copy of the citation and petition to the last known address of your spouse and that will trigger service. The other alternative is to serve your spouse by publication, which means that notice of the filing of your petition will be published in a local newspaper or newspapers. Service by publication takes a little bit longer than the other methods of service, as there is a longer period of time that must past before the answer is due.

If your spouse does not file an answer by the answer due date, a default judgment can be entered. If your spouse does not want the divorce, you are still able to pursue the divorce on your own. A default judgment can be pursued if your spouse decides to completely ignore the petition for divorce. Typically when one spouse does not want the divorce, they will draw out the process as long as possible and create issues.

Unlike other state issues surrounding support, custody, alimony and property have to be decided before the divorce is final. In order to file a divorce case in Texas, certain residency requirements must be met. First, a party must be a domiciliary of the state for the preceding 6-month period. The second requirement is that a party must be a resident of the county in which the suit is filed for the preceding day period. If children are not involved in the divorce, then you absolutely do not have to continue to live in Texas. However, if you are awarded primary possession of the children, the court can restrict the state and counties where you are able to live.

When children are involved, it is also important to consider whether you will be able to exercise regular possession and access to your children. This form may include the reasons for divorce, and it is common for the petition to list the assets that you and your spouse share.

The summons is a piece of paper that your spouse will receive along with a copy of the divorce petition. The summons tells your spouse how long they have to respond to the divorce papers. Court information sheet. The court information sheet will specify which court is handling your divorce and which judge has been assigned to the case.

Dealing with Divorce in Prison

Ask about available resources to help with your divorce. Ask the librarian about what types of help the prison offers to inmates seeking a divorce. Some law schools have clinical programs that work with inmates on legal issues. Fill out the paperwork. Complete the divorce forms for the county where your spouse is a resident. You should be able to find the forms on your state court's website.

You will need to know your spouse's full name, your spouse's current address, and the names and ages of any children you have together. You can also ask a trustworthy friend or a family member who is not incarcerated to fill out the forms and file them for you. Look at the forms before they are filed to make sure they are filled out exactly how you want them to be. Pay the filing fee or apply for a fee waiver. If you cannot afford to pay the filing fee, you can apply for a fee waiver from the court. There is a form to fill out that can be obtained from the clerk of court if you did not already receive one.

The amount of the filing fee varies from state to state. File the paperwork. Once you have completed and checked all of your paperwork, you will be ready to file. To file the forms, you should try to get help from the prison's legal service. Bring all of the required paperwork with you and say that you want to file divorce papers.

Your prison's legal service should file the papers for you.

Legal Advice in Minutes

They should also give you the documents that you will need along with proof that they filed the forms. If your prison does not have a legal services program that handles divorces, ask a trustworthy friend or family member to file the papers for you with the clerk of the court where you will be getting divorced. Serve a copy of the divorce papers on your spouse. Your spouse must receive notice of the divorce proceedings in order for the court to proceed with the case.

You can either serve the divorce papers on your spouse by certified mail or in person. If it is sent by certified mail, your spouse will have to sign for the papers. To serve the papers in person, hire a process server or have someone you trust personally hand a copy of the summons and complaint to your spouse. The person who serves the papers to your spouse must be 18 years or older. You cannot serve your spouse with the divorce papers. File a proof of service affidavit. After your spouse has been served with the divorce papers, you will need to file an affidavit of service.

This document will need to be signed by the person who delivered the divorce papers to your spouse. Await your spouse's response.